art, art prints, artwork, Britain, british, British flag, buy, canvas, colorful maps, country, England, english, europe, european, Flag, flags, for sale, great, great britain, kingdom, map, map of england, maps, online, paintings, prints, sharon cummings, symbol, united, united kingdom, united kingdom map, wall art, wall decor, wall hangings
I am continuing to work on my map series and England is my next offering. Why not the United Kingdom? The United Kingdom is not a country. It is actually 4 countries grouped together (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). Seems Scotland is working towards independence so who knows what that map will look like in the near future. So I just chose England as a stand alone. It’s a beautiful shape for an artist to work with and I am pleased with the finished image.
Some fun facts about England:
1. Big Ben does not refer to the clock, but actually the bell.
2. London has been called Londonium, Ludenwic, and Ludenburg in the past.
3. French was the official language for about 300 years
4. The shortest war against England was with Zanzibar in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.
5. There is nowhere in Britain that is more than 74.5 miles from the sea.
6. The first telephone directory published in England contained 25 names.
7. While the Great Fire of London was largely destructive, the casualty rate was just 8.
8. The first hot chocolate store opened in London.
9. There are over 300 languages spoken in England.
10. The English drink more tea than anyone else in the world.
Oh and how about a flag? England has a fine flag with a red cross over a white background. I have not done an image for that yet. But I do love the United Kingdom’s flag for it’s bright contrasting colors and interesting design. It’s so distinctive and eye catching. Another artist’s dream. 🙂
Reblogged this on B.E.S.T. Arts Gallery and commented:
British Invasion!…………………………………… #England #Maps #MapofEngland #Britain
Delightful! I love the UK, particularly the Lake District and Scotland. Would love to return for another visit. Great blog Sharon – interesting facts!! Shared.
Thank you Lianne….I’d love to go someday!
Must show this to my English GF. She will love it. I spent two weeks in London a few years back. Next time, I am gonna see the countryside and of course make a pilgrimage to Stratford-upon-Avon.
Beautiful work Sharon.
Thank you Lance! I just have to live vicariously through your travels for now….I’ve only been on American soil, but I’ve been ALL over this place. 🙂
Such creative beauty.
Thank you LaTrice!
Kerry C. Mitchell said:
I like all the beautiful colors and textures of the map. Very good. BTW, how did you make the little smiley face?
Thanks Kerry…accidental happiness. 🙂
Hi, thanks for your comment on my website! What a wonderful post you created!
You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by mine. 🙂
Hello, Sharon — Looks as if you accurately captured, albeit unintentionally, England’s voting intentions on your map (blue for Conservatives, red for Labour)! 🙂
Yes completely unintentional. 😉