Canada is “from sea to sea”. That’s their motto and it is quite fitting. There is so much to see in this huge country. From gorgeous coastlines to wooded mountains it has many breathtaking views. Ontario is so big that it is “yours to discover”. Their major cities such as Quebec and Montreal just to name two have World class dining, theater and more.
My knowledge of Canada is limited to what I’ve seen in pictures, movies and hockey. My daughter is a die hard hockey fan and we watch every Tampa Bay Lightning game. With Canada boasting 7 teams we have watched them played many times as well.
I have been creating colorful maps lately and was delighted to work on a piece for Canada. The country itself has an interesting shape with all of the inlets and islands. Vivid and alive just as the Canadians I have had the pleasure to know. 🙂
A few interesting facts:
* At 9 984 670 sq km and comprised of 6 time zones, Canada is huge!
* Canada is also home to the longest street in the world. Yonge Street in Ontario starts at Lake Ontario, and runs north through Ontario to the Minnesota border, a distance of almost 2000 kilometres.
* While we’re talking ‘longest’, here’s another record: Canada has the world’s longest coastline at 202 080 km.
* A bear cub named Winnipeg was exported from Canada to the London Zoo in 1915. A little boy named Christopher Robin Milne loved to visit Winnipeg (or Winnie for short) and his love for the bear cub inspired the stories written by his father, A.A. Milne, about Winnie-the-Pooh.
* The Blackberry Smartphone was developed in Ontario, at Research In Motion’s Waterloo offices.