I remember this piece very well. I almost threw it away. I spent many hours using Pantone markers and Prismacolor colored pencils getting the details of their fur just right. I wanted the eyes to have expression and depth. I was pleased with it’s progress until I tried to create a background. For some reason the grass and trees weren’t coming out the way I envisioned. They seemed too bright and did not look as good as the animals. I was crushed! Then I thought I could save it by making the background solid black. You can still see some of the black around the mane. But that didn’t work either. Finally in a last ditch effort to save all of my hard work, I got my x-acto knife and started the grueling task of cutting the giraffes out. I had to be so careful.
In the end, I decided to make a separate black border and mounted it that way to present to my teacher for grading. I got an A and it was selected for the annual school art show. As a result of it’s exhibition, I sold my very first print in 1993!